Welcome to the Materials Research Institute
A centre of excellence providing the platform to support dynamic inter-disciplinary materials research, in collaboration with academia, research councils and industry professionals.
Queen Mary University of London has a strong tradition of materials-based research. The creation of the Materials Research Institute (MRI) brings together a range of expertise from within several Schools: Engineering and Materials, Physics and Astronomy, Biological and Chemical Sciences, and Dentistry to create a coherent interdisciplinary activity focused on five key research themes.
- Scientists at MRI design material that can store energy like an eagle’s grip
- Facilities access support for use of Henry Royce Institute equipment, University of Cambridge
- Protein disorder–order interplay to guide the growth of hierarchical mineralized structures
- Enamel Remineralization with Novel Bioactive Glass Air Abrasion. J Dent Res
- Enabling portable multiple-line refreshable Braille displays with electroactive elastomers. Med Eng Phys
- Bone matrix development in steroid-induced osteoporosis is associated with a consistently reduced fibrillar stiffness linked to altered bone mineral quality. Acta Biomater vol. 76, 295-307.