Dr Lorenzo BottoPhD
Visiting Reader in Fluid Mechanics
Engineering 124, Mile End
soft matter, fluid mechanics, colloidal and interface science, surface-tension phenomena, applied mathematics
I am interested in fundamental aspects of multiphase flow theory, soft matter, and dynamics of complex fluids, with particular emphasis on fluids (both viscoelastic and Newtonian) containing suspended inertial particles, colloids or nanoparticles. My research is primarily carried out by mathematical modelling and fully-resolved simulations.
In the field of materials research, I am interested in:
- exploring materials assembly strategies that rely on surface-tension forces. An example is particle-stabilized foams, emulsions, and polymer blends. In this field, I have developed simulation and theory for rod-like particles assembling by capillarity at fluid interfaces.
- understanding the interaction of filler particles with fluid polymeric matrices. I am trying to tackle the question on how to model the dynamics of filler particles during processing of nanocomposites. As a first step, I am developing Brownian Dynamics simulations to understand the flocculation dynamics of particles having a fractal structure (e.g. carbon-black).
- Santagiuliana G, Picot OT, Crespo M, Porwal H, Zhang H, Li Y, Rubini L, Colonna S, Fina A, Barbieri E, Spoelstra AB, Mirabello G, Patterson JP, Botto L, Pugno NM, Peijs T and Bilotti E (2018). Breaking the Nanoparticle Loading-Dispersion Dichotomy in Polymer Nanocomposites with the Art of Croissant-Making. Acs Nano 10.1021/acsnano.8b02877
- MATA A, Azevedo HS, Botto L, Gavara N and Su L (2017). New Bioengineering Breakthroughs and Enabling Tools in Regenerative Medicine. Current Stem Cell Reports 10.1007/s40778-017-0081-9
- Inostroza-Brito KE, Collin E, Siton-Mendelson O, Smith KH, Monge-Marcet A, Ferreira DS, Rodríguez RP, Alonso M, Rodríguez-Cabello JC, Reis RL, Sagués F, Botto L, Bitton R, Azevedo HS and Mata A (2015). Co-Assembly, spatiotemporal control and morphogenesis of a hybrid protein-peptide system. Nature Chemistry vol. 7, (11) 897-904. 10.1038/nchem.2349