Dr Patrick Cullen
Lecturer in Sustainable/Renewable Energy
School of Engineering and Materials Sciencep.email@example.com
225, Engineering, Mile End
225, Engineering, Mile End
Sustainable Energy, Renewable Energy, Batteries and Catalysis
Research InterestsAt undergraduate Paddy studied chemistry at Balliol College, University of Oxford, (MChem, 2009), where he studied metal-ammonia solutions in the lab of Prof. Peter Edwards FRS.
He then spent a year teaching and demonstrating experiments in schools around south east England, before studying for his doctorate in the department of Physics & Astronomy, University College London (PhD 2015), in the lab of Prof. Neal Skipper and Dr. Chris Howard.
Subsequently he was awarded an EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowship to work in the Department of Chemical Engineering, University College London with Prof. Dan Brett. He is now an RCUK EPSRC Innovation Fellow working at Queen Mary, University of London since Janruary 2020.
- Leach AS, Hack J, Amboage M, Diaz-Moreno S, Huang H, Cullen PL, Wilding M, Magliocca E, Miller TS, Howard CA, Brett DJL, Shearing PR, McMillan PF, Russell AE and Jervis R (2021). A novel fuel cell design for operando energy-dispersive x-ray absorption measurements. Journal of Physics Condensed Matter vol. 33, (31) 10.1088/1361-648X/ac0476
- Hack J, Rasha L, Cullen PL, Bailey JJ, Neville TP, Shearing PR, Brandon NP and Brett DJL (2020). Use of X-ray computed tomography for understanding localised, along-the-channel degradation of polymer electrolyte fuel cells. Electrochimica Acta vol. 352, 10.1016/j.electacta.2020.136464
- Angel GMA, Mansor N, Jervis R, Rana Z, Gibbs C, Seel A, Kilpatrick AFR, Shearing PR, Howard CA, Brett DJL and Cullen PL (2020). Realising the electrochemical stability of graphene: scalable synthesis of an ultra-durable platinum catalyst for the oxygen reduction reaction. Nanoscale 10.1039/d0nr03326j
- Basma N, Cullen PL, Clancy AJ, Shaffer MSP, Skipper NT, Headen TF and Howard CA (2019). The liquid structure of the solvents dimethylformamide (DMF) and dimethylacetamide (DMA). Informa Uk Limited Molecular Physics vol. 117, (22) 3353-3363. 10.1080/00268976.2019.1649494
- Jorge Sobrido A, Jervis R, Crespo Ribadeneyra M, Grogan L, Au H, Schlee P, Herou S, Neville T, Cullen P, Kok M, Hosseinaei O, Tomani P, Titirici M, Brett D and Shearing P (2019). Lignin-derived electrospun freestanding carbons as alternative electrodes for redox flow batteries. Elsevier Carbon 10.1016/j.carbon.2019.11.015
- Seel AG, Holzmann N, Imberti S, Bernasconi L, Edwards PP, Cullen PL, Howard CA and Skipper NT (2019). Solvation of Na– in the Sodide Solution, LiNa·10MeNH2. American Chemical Society (Acs) The Journal of Physical Chemistry B vol. 123, (25) 5337-5342. 10.1021/acs.jpcb.9b03792
- Watts MC, Picco L, Russell-Pavier FS, Cullen PL, Miller TS, Bartu¿ SP, Payton OD, Skipper NT, Tileli V and Howard CA (2019). Production of phosphorene nanoribbons. Nature Research Nature vol. 568, (7751) 216-220. 10.1038/s41586-019-1074-x
- Headen TF, Cullen PL, Patel R, Taylor A and Skipper NT (2018). The structures of liquid pyridine and naphthalene: The effects of heteroatoms and core size on aromatic interactions. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics vol. 20, (4) 2704-2715. 10.1039/c7cp06689a
- Miller TS, Suter TM, Telford AM, Picco L, Payton OD, Russell-Pavier F, Cullen PL, Sella A, Shaffer MSP, Nelson J, Tileli V, McMillan PF and Howard CA (2017). Single Crystal, Luminescent Carbon Nitride Nanosheets Formed by Spontaneous Dissolution. Nano Letters vol. 17, (10) 5891-5896. 10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b01353
- Buckley DJ, Hodge SA, Marco MD, Hu S, Anthony DB, Cullen PL, Mckeigue K, Skipper NT, Shaffer MSP and Howard CA (2017). Trajectory of the selective dissolution of charged single-walled carbon nanotubes. Journal of Physical Chemistry C vol. 121, (39) 21703-21712. 10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b06553
- Meyer Q, Mansor N, Iacoviello F, Cullen PL, Jervis R, Finegan D, Tan C, Bailey J, Shearing PR and Brett DJL (2017). Investigation of Hot Pressed Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Assemblies via X-ray Computed Tomography. Elsevier Bv Electrochimica Acta vol. 242, 125-136. 10.1016/j.electacta.2017.05.028
- Cullen PL, Cox KM, Bin Subhan MK, Picco L, Payton OD, Buckley DJ, Miller TS, Hodge SA, Skipper NT, Tileli V and Howard CA (2017). Ionic solutions of two-dimensional materials. Nature Chemistry vol. 9, (3) 244-249. 10.1038/nchem.2650
- Hodge SA, Tay HH, Anthony DB, Menzel R, Buckley DJ, Cullen PL, Skipper NT, Howard CA and Shaffer MSP (2014). Probing the charging mechanisms of carbon nanomaterial polyelectrolytes. Faraday Discuss vol. 172, 311-325. 10.1039/c4fd00043a
- Lodge MTJH, Cullen P, Rees NH, Spencer N, Maeda K, Harmer JR, Jones MO and Edwards PP (2013). Multielement NMR studies of the liquid-liquid phase separation and the metal-to-nonmetal transition in fluid lithium- and sodium-ammonia solutions. J Phys Chem B vol. 117, (42) 13322-13334. 10.1021/jp404023j